Announcement: GPSC Service SuspensionSeptember 1, 2021
Statement from the SGPS ExecutiveSeptember 20, 2021
The SGPS is disturbed and grieved to hear of the reports of sexual and gender-based violence at Western University during orientation week and we stand in solidarity with those suffering the effects of sexual and gender-based violence.
If you, or someone you know is suffering from such violence, please consider the following resources:
- Queen’s University sexual violence prevention and support website: https://www.queensu.ca/sexualviolencesupport/support
- Levana Gender Advocacy Center – student-funded Queen’s University organization committed to creating and nurturing a radical community of Kingston students and residents. Devoted to fighting gender oppression and advocating for broad ideas of gender empowerment for those of any or no gender, Levana operates on anti-oppressive practices. Open to all residents of Kingston, and offers a lending library free of charge. Email: email@example.com
- Sexual Health Resource Center (SHRC) – confidential, non-judgemental, feminist, queer positive, pro-choice, sex positive and non-heterosexist information and referral service. Sells different sexual health and pleasure products, and serves as a confidential resource for those in need of immediate support. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Education on Queer Issues Project (EQuIP) – seeks to create a safer environment for individuals at Queen’s and in Kingston of all sexualities and gender identities. EQuIP strives to create a fun, welcoming, and educational community for queer-related issues. Everybody is welcome! You do not have to be a Queen’s student, or even a student at all to be involved. Email: email@example.com
- Sexual Assault Center Kingston – provides support services and programs to women and all trans and gender non-conforming individuals (14 years of age and older) who have experienced recent and/or historical sexual violence in Kingston, Frontenac, Lennox, and Addington. Tel:613-544-6424; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Empower Me – has a number of professionals with various domains of expertise, including psychology, psychotherapy, social work, nutrition, etc., to support you and respond effectively to diverse needs. You can access services via telephone or videoconference: http://studentcare.ca/rte/en/IHaveAPlan_SGPS_EmpowerMe_EmpowerMe
The SGPS and AMS will be hosting a solidarity walkout on Tuesday, September 21st. Details to follow on Monday.
We believe you. We support you.