Updates May 2023
The Event Sanctioning form assists organizers in thinking through each aspect of their events and planning for the safety of their participants and themselves. The process outlined in this form will provide event organizers with a guide to ensure they fully comply with both SGPS risk management best practices and Queen’s University policies. By filling out this form and getting your event approved, event organizers and the event can be covered by SGPS insurance.
Completing the event planning form and subsequent review and approval of your event allows the organization to use their SGPS/Queen’s/Faculty Society/Club-affiliated name with their event. Therefore they are permitted to market and associate their name with the event.
How is event planning working this year?
The application has been expanded to allow applicants to supply more details regarding their events, which will cut down on email communication as everything will be laid out.
We strongly recommend that applicants review the SGPS Event Sanctioning Information Guide before completing the form. The application guide will answer your most common questions as it addresses each step of the application.
Event organizers are no longer required to complete a COVID-19 Safety Plan for in-person events. However, this is subject to change if Ontario’s government and public health authorities adjust their public health advice.
Who must receive approval for their events?
Any group planning to hold an event that involves SGPS members in an official capacity must have its event approved. Examples of groups that require SGPS sanctioning are:
- Faculty Societies
- Faculty Society Clubs/Committees
- Departmental Societies/Councils
- SGPS Led Events
When should the online event form be submitted?
All requests must be submitted at least 14 business days before the event.
Incomplete forms will be returned for completion before conducting a review.
Forms not submitted within 14 business days of the event may risk not being able to be reviewed.
Advertising for the Event:
All advertisements must abide by the following advertising guidelines, as per Section 5 of the University’s Alcohol Policy, to receive official event approval:
- Advertisements must not depict the consumption of alcohol as the primary or sole purpose of an event or initiative
- Advertisements must not coerce or explicitly encourage students to consume alcohol
- Advertisements must positively present an event or initiative to provide an inclusive and safe environment for all potential participants.
- Groups consent to remove advertisements deemed contravening these guidelines, the Liquor License Act of Ontario, or the Student Code of Conduct.
What happens if I do not submit my event for approval?
- We are required to report unsanctioned events to Queen’s who may choose to take action.
- Unsanctioned events cannot use your SGPS/Queen’s/Faculty Society/Departmental Society/Department Council/Faculty Society Club affiliated name with the event.
- The event organizers are personally liable for any loss or damage incurred due to the event.
Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have any questions about Event Sanctioning.