If you need assistance in obtaining ingredients for this recipe, please reach out to the AMS Food Bank at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that while these ingredients may be requested from the food bank, we cannot guarantee the provision of all ingredients (especially the more speciality items). Located in John Deutsch University Center, the AMS Food Bank serves confidential and non-judgmental food service to members of the Queen’s community.
Week of October 11, 2021
Spice up your Mexican night with these quick and easy frying pan nachos!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/healthier-frying-pan-nachos-recipe/bez441y7
2 wholegrain tortillas
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion finely chopped
400g lean beef mince
1 red capsicum finely chopped
1 long red chili finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
30g sachet salt-reduced taco seasoning
400g can diced tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
2/3 cup grated reduced-fat tasty cheese
1 avocado diced
200g tomato medley mix halved
1/3 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/4 cup light sour cream
- Preheat oven to 220˚C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Cut tortillas into 24 wedges. Place, in a single layer, on trays. Bake, turning once, for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium flameproof, ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until softened. Add mince. Cook, breaking up mince with a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add capsicum, chilli and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add tomatoes, kidney beans and 3⁄4 cup water. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
- Preheat grill on high. Sprinkle beef mixture with cheese. Grill for 5 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Top with avocado, tomato and coriander. Dollop with sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips and lime wedges.
Week of September 20, 2021
Calling all breakfast lovers! This quick, healthy crustless quiche recipe is perfect to fulfil your breakfast desires at any time of the day.
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.wellplated.com/crustless-quiche/
6 large eggs
2/3 cups whole milk
¼ cup half-and-half
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp dijon mustard (optional)
Pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1 ½ cup of Mix-Ins (this recipe calls for bacon, broccoli and onions, but any vegetables or cooked meats can be used)
2/3 grated cheese (this recipe uses gruyere but can be substituted for your cheese of choice)
2 tsp fresh chives
- For the bacon version, cook the bacon. Add in the broccoli and onions
- Whisk the eggs, milk, half-and-half and spices together
- Add the mix ins to a pie dish
- Top with cheese
- Pour the egg mixture over the cheese, sprinkle with chives on top
- Bake at 350˚ for 35 minutes
Week of September 6, 2021
Who doesn’t love a good bowl of chili? This 3-bean chili recipe is super easy to make and tastes even better!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://myheavenlyrecipes.com/3-bean-chili-gift-in-a-jar/
2/3 cup brown or green lentils
2/3 cup yellow split peas
2/3 cup green split peas
1 cup Barley
2 vegetable bouillon cubes
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
10 cups water
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover with a lid and simmer for 2 to 3 hours stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favourite toppings.
Week of August 23, 2021
Have you heard that cauliflower is the newest superfood. Cauliflower rice, buffalo cauliflower wings, cauliflower pizza crust and now cauliflower lentil tacos! Give this recipe a try to see just what you have been missing out on.
All credit for this recipe goes to https://cookieandkate.com/roasted-cauliflower-and-lentil-tacos/
1 large head of cauliflower, sliced into bite-sized florets
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Seasoned Lentils Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
¾ cup brown lentils, picked over for debris and rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth or water
Chipotle Sauce Ingredients:
⅓ cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 to 3 tablespoons adobo sauce (from a can of chipotle peppers) or chipotle hot sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
All Other Ingredients:
8 small, round corn tortillas
½ cup packed fresh cilantro leaves*
- To roast the cauliflower: Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss cauliflower florets with enough olive oil to cover them in a light, even layer of oil. Season with salt and pepper and arrange the florets in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 30 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway, until the florets are deeply golden on the edges.
- Warm the olive oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Sauté the onion and garlic with a dash of salt for about 5 minutes, until the onions are softened and turning translucent. Add the tomato paste, cumin and chili powder and sauté for another minute, stirring constantly. Add the lentils and the vegetable broth or water. Raise heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes to 45 minutes, until the lentils are tender and cooked through. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer, and add more broth or water if the liquid evaporates before the lentils are done. Once the lentils are done cooking, drain off any excess liquid, then cover and set aside.
- To prepare the chipotle sauce, just whisk together the ingredients and set aside (if you have no choice but to use whole chipotle peppers from the can, use a blender to purée it all).
- Warm tortillas individually in a pan over medium heat. Stack the warm tortillas and cover them with a tea towel if you won’t be serving the tacos immediately.
- Once all of your components are ready, you can assemble your tacos! Top each tortilla with the lentil mixture, cauliflower, a drizzle of chipotle sauce and a generous sprinkle of chopped cilantro.
Week of August 9, 2021
Full of fresh flavours, this easy vegetarian dinner recipe is sure to fulfill those chipotle cravings!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/healthy-mexican-fried-rice-recipe-two/txrmh6bh?r=healthy/4qGChV5h
100g (1/2 cup) brown rice
2 tsp olive oil
1 small brown onion chopped
1 small red capsicum deseeded, chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp Mexican chilli powder
1/2 x 400g can black beans rinsed, drained
1/2 x 300g can corn kernels drained
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
100g grape tomatoes chopped
1/4 small red onion finely chopped
1/2 small avocado quartered, chopped
60g feta crumbled
- Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water for 25 minutes. Drain well, then spread onto a large tray and place into the fridge, uncovered, for at least 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and capsicum and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and chilli powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds until aromatic.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes until lightly fried and well combined with the onion mixture. Add the beans and corn and continue cooking, stirring often, until heated through. Pour lime juice over and toss to combine.
- Combine the tomatoes and onion and season to taste. Divide the rice mixture among serving bowls and top with the tomato mixture, avocado, feta, coriander and lime wedges.
Week of July 26, 2021
Take your spaghetti and meatballs to the next level with this easy to make Italian spaghetti squash recipe!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a46758/tuscan-spaghetti-squash-recipe/
2 large spaghetti squash halved
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lb. Italian sausage casing removed
1/2 c. tomato sauce
1 c. shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°
- On a large baking sheet, rub insides of spaghetti squash with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until tender, 55 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and heat broiler.
- Once cool enough to handle, shred spaghetti squash with a fork.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned.
- Divide tomato sauce and sausage among halves and top with cheese.
- Broil until cheese is browned and squash warmed through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Week of July 19, 2021
Enjoy this Red Lentil Soup recipe that is fun and easy to make and makes you feel even better.
1 yellow onion
1 tbsp oil (mustard, olive, coconut etc.)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1L of water
2 bouillon cubes
1 cup of red lentils
2 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- Fry the yellow onion in the oil until it softens and become translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes paste and fry until heated.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, red lentils, paprika powder, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil and let simmer with a lid for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Add red wine vinegar and salt to taste
Enjoy this fresh, crisp fulfilling summer salad as a side dish, lunch, or dinner.
Credit for this recipe belongs to https://ifoodreal.com/healthy-spinach-salad-recipe/
11 oz Baby spinach washed
1 cup Grape tomatoes halved
1 Cucumber sliced
2 cups Mushrooms sliced
4 Hard Boiled Eggs sliced
1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 cup pecans in a large skillet, toast them on medium heat for 5 minutes of until fragrant
1 tbsp maple syrup turn off heat and stir nuts until coated fully
Enjoy this honey Dijon chicken and veggie recipe as your next savory nourishing dinner, perfect for a quick and healthy meal!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.eatwell101.com/honey-dijon-chicken-veggies-foil-packs
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves minced garlic
Pinch salt and pepper
1/3 cup honey ( optional for low-carb, keto diet)
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
Chopped fresh parsley
Crushed chili pepper (optional)
4 zucchini, sliced
1 pound (450g) grape tomatoes, halved
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Place zucchini slices, tomatoes on foil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then top with each chicken fillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, minced garlic, mustard, and honey. Divide the sauce over each chicken breast and sprinkle with crushed chili pepper and chopped parsley.
- Fold the foil over the chicken and vegetables to close off the pack.
- Transfer the packs to a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Serve immediately and open carefully. Enjoy with an additional touch of parsley!
What says SUMMER better than a delicious pasta salad.
All credit for this pasta salad recipe goes to https://www.thecookierookie.com/green-goddess-pasta-salad-recipe/
Credit for the pesto recipe goes to https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fresh_basil_pesto/
1 lb Pasta cooked according to package instructions
1 jar (6.35 oz) Basil Pesto*
1/2 cup Real Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups frozen peas cooked according to package instructions
2 cups steamed asparagus chopped
1 1/2 cups chickpeas drained
3/4 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, stir together the pesto and mayo until smooth.
- Combine hot pasta, pesto, salt, peas, asparagus, chickpeas, and pine nuts in a large bowl and stir to toss.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve!
*Use store-bought pesto or make your own*
2 cups of basil (can be replaced with baby spinach or if you want to reduce food waste, carrot greens or radish greens work equally well)
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts (can be substituted for chopped walnuts)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp)
1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Pulse the pine nuts and basil until finely chopped
- Add garlic and cheese. Pulse a few more times
- Slowly pour in olive oil as you keep mixing.
- Season to taste.