If you need assistance in obtaining ingredients for this recipe, please reach out to the AMS Food Bank at firstname.lastname@example.org Please note that while these ingredients may be requested from the food bank, we cannot guarantee the provision of all ingredients (especially the more speciality items). Located in John Deutsch University Center, the AMS Food Bank serves confidential and non-judgmental food service to members of the Queen’s community.
Week of July 26, 2021
Take your spaghetti and meatballs to the next level with this easy to make Italian spaghetti squash recipe!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a46758/tuscan-spaghetti-squash-recipe/
2 large spaghetti squash halved
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lb. Italian sausage casing removed
1/2 c. tomato sauce
1 c. shredded mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 400°
- On a large baking sheet, rub insides of spaghetti squash with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake until tender, 55 minutes to 1 hour. Remove from oven and heat broiler.
- Once cool enough to handle, shred spaghetti squash with a fork.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned.
- Divide tomato sauce and sausage among halves and top with cheese.
- Broil until cheese is browned and squash warmed through, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Week of July 19, 2021
Enjoy this Red Lentil Soup recipe that is fun and easy to make and makes you feel even better.
1 yellow onion
1 tbsp oil (mustard, olive, coconut etc.)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1L of water
2 bouillon cubes
1 cup of red lentils
2 tsp paprika
1 bay leaf
1 tsp thyme
½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- Fry the yellow onion in the oil until it softens and become translucent.
- Add the garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes paste and fry until heated.
- Add crushed tomatoes, water, bouillon cubes, red lentils, paprika powder, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil and let simmer with a lid for 15 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Add red wine vinegar and salt to taste
Enjoy this fresh, crisp fulfilling summer salad as a side dish, lunch, or dinner.
Credit for this recipe belongs to https://ifoodreal.com/healthy-spinach-salad-recipe/
11 oz Baby spinach washed
1 cup Grape tomatoes halved
1 Cucumber sliced
2 cups Mushrooms sliced
4 Hard Boiled Eggs sliced
1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp Soy sauce
1 cup pecans in a large skillet, toast them on medium heat for 5 minutes of until fragrant
1 tbsp maple syrup turn off heat and stir nuts until coated fully
Enjoy this honey Dijon chicken and veggie recipe as your next savory nourishing dinner, perfect for a quick and healthy meal!
All credit for this recipe goes to https://www.eatwell101.com/honey-dijon-chicken-veggies-foil-packs
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves minced garlic
Pinch salt and pepper
1/3 cup honey ( optional for low-carb, keto diet)
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
Chopped fresh parsley
Crushed chili pepper (optional)
4 zucchini, sliced
1 pound (450g) grape tomatoes, halved
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Place zucchini slices, tomatoes on foil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then top with each chicken fillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, minced garlic, mustard, and honey. Divide the sauce over each chicken breast and sprinkle with crushed chili pepper and chopped parsley.
- Fold the foil over the chicken and vegetables to close off the pack.
- Transfer the packs to a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Serve immediately and open carefully. Enjoy with an additional touch of parsley!
What says SUMMER better than a delicious pasta salad.
All credit for this pasta salad recipe goes to https://www.thecookierookie.com/green-goddess-pasta-salad-recipe/
Credit for the pesto recipe goes to https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fresh_basil_pesto/
1 lb Pasta cooked according to package instructions
1 jar (6.35 oz) Basil Pesto*
1/2 cup Real Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups frozen peas cooked according to package instructions
2 cups steamed asparagus chopped
1 1/2 cups chickpeas drained
3/4 cup pine nuts
1 tablespoon fresh chopped chives
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, stir together the pesto and mayo until smooth.
- Combine hot pasta, pesto, salt, peas, asparagus, chickpeas, and pine nuts in a large bowl and stir to toss.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve!
*Use store-bought pesto or make your own*
2 cups of basil (can be replaced with baby spinach or if you want to reduce food waste, carrot greens or radish greens work equally well)
1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts (can be substituted for chopped walnuts)
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tbsp)
1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- Pulse the pine nuts and basil until finely chopped
- Add garlic and cheese. Pulse a few more times
- Slowly pour in olive oil as you keep mixing.
- Season to taste.